On March 18, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved a combination of the immunotherapy atezolizumab (Tecentriq) along with standard chemotherapy (carboplatin and etoposide) for patients who are starting treatment for extensive stage small cell lung cancer. This is the first immunotherapy approved up front, as a first treatment, for small cell lung cancer (SCLC). The approval was based on the IMPower133 clinical trial which showed that more patients survived longer when taking the combination than standard chemotherapy. Click here [...]
By Curt Hammock As I approached Christmas in 2010, I reflected on just how good I had it. My business was growing, I was riding my motorcycle, playing golf and getting ready to celebrate my wife, Elaine’s, birthday that month. During that time, I had a constant nose bleed my doctor assured me was due to the blood thinners I was on for a past heart attack. Later that month, I found a lump on my neck. My doctor put [...]
The LCA Science and Research team just returned from the 2019 Targeted Therapies of Lung Cancer Meeting, and we have good news: treatment options continue to expand in the targeted therapies and immunotherapy space to treat all types of lung cancer. Here’s what we learned. All of the advancements presented emphasize the importance of molecular testing/biomarker testing so that the best treatments can be chosen for a patient’s unique cancer. There are currently approved targeted therapies for patients whose cancers [...]
Last year was an exciting year for lung cancer research with more U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval decisions relevant to lung cancer than ever before. So, what can we expect for 2019? Another eventful year with researchers studying how to best give the approved drugs (i.e. what order and combinations) as well as expanding the options with more types of therapies. IMMUNOTHERAPY IN NON-SMALL CELL LUNG CANCER First, there is the rapidly growing field of immunotherapy. We have [...]
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved atezolizumab (TECENTRIQ®), an immunotherapy drug, in combination with bevacizumab, paclitaxel, and carboplatin for the first-line treatment of patients with metastatic non-squamous, non-small cell lung cancer (NSq NSCLC) with no EGFR or ALK genomic tumor aberrations. This is the first four drug combination treatment approved for lung cancer. Click here to learn more.
Small cell lung cancer (SCLC) makes up about 15% of lung cancer cases (the other 85% is non-small cell lung cancer) with around 30,000 Americans being diagnosed each year. 98% of SCLC cases are smoking-related (majority of those diagnosed being former smokers). With smoking rates decreasing in the past several decades, so have rates of SCLC. The current standard of care for patients diagnosed with SCLC is chemotherapy and radiation (surgery can be an option if diagnosed at an early [...]
Tuesday, October 30, 2018 – Today the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved immunotherapy drug, pembrolizumab, also known as KEYTRUDA, in combination with chemotherapies, carboplatin, and either paclitaxel or nab-paclitaxel as a first-line treatment for patients with metastatic squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). The results of the randomized trial showed an increase in overall survival, progression-free survival and overall response rate. Click here to read the full press release.
This week, the LCA team attended the 19th Annual World Conference on Lung Cancer (September 23-26, 2018) in Toronto, Canada. Jennifer C. King, PhD, Director of Science and Research, gives us the scoop on some of the research and treatment breakthroughs, and how they impact you! https://youtu.be/Q2S7akrHUVQ SCREENING REDUCES MORTALITY! Results from the Dutch-Belgium Lung Cancer Screening trial (NELSON) showed that lung cancer screening significantly reduces lung cancer mortality. In this trial, which was more favorable than the National Lung [...]
By: Jennifer C. King, PhD, Director of Science and Research, Lung Cancer Alliance Last week, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Opdivo (nivolumab) as a new treatment for small cell lung cancer. This is the first new drug for small cell lung cancer that has been approved in decades. The lung cancer community should be very excited about this advance and the future of small cell research. Opdivo is a type of immunotherapy called a checkpoint inhibitor. [...]
Friday, August 17, 2018 – Today the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Opdivo (nivolumab), an immunotherapy treatment, for patients with metastatic small cell lung cancer (SCLC) with progression after platinum-based chemotherapy and at least one other line of therapy. Accelerated approval was granted for this therapy due to positive results of a recent study, Phase 1/2 CheckMate -032 trial. This is not only the first immunotherapy treatment approved for SCLC, but also the first new treatment for SCLC in [...]